Wednesday 8 May 2013

Day 8: Blog Everyday In May.......First Job

Hello my beauties how are you all doing today :) 
There is a reason I have the above picture up and you will find out why in a moment 
Todays topic is First Job...... Tell us about your first job. Did you love it or was it horrendous?
Wow this brings me back years and I smile while I remember my first job because I absolutely loved it :)
I was 11 years old and in Ireland at that time the weather in the Summer was actually beautiful in fact the summers used to be so so hot and lasted a good 3 months which doesnt happen any more :(

I was so excited to have landed myself a job doing Raspberry Picking :) 
It ment I was getting my own money and also getting out of the house in the summer which in all honesty was a blessing as I lived in the country and none of my true friends were living beside me so it ended up the summers were a little too lonely for me and in all fairness there was only so much of your little brothers and sister you could take at that age after all my hormones were everywhere and I needed that to "make me happy" lol 
So I had to be there at 8 am in the morning until about 4 in the day and that was fine with me.  I remember my first day I could not contain myself I was that excited I got there a half hour before work started.  
I remember the mornings bee so crisp and misty that you could tell the day was going to be hot and sunny I loved them mornings in fact I still do 

I remember literally been given a bucket and shown to the back of the owners house and all I could see was lengths of bushes apon bushes of raspberrys (the picture above is not the actual place but its exactly how it looked like) 
I was given one lane which seemed to go on forever and told to pick the best and leave the ones that were not ripe enough.  When I had my bucket filled I was to go back and get the bucket weighed and they would keep an account of how much i picked.  I got to work straight away.  I remember meeting this boy who was given the other side of my lane and every so often we used to meet each others hands lol it was so funny of all the raspberries we had on both sides we ended up reaching for the same one.  
I cant even remember his name but we became chatting buddies as we made our way up our sides on the lanes :) 
The owner was well impressed with me at how quick I was picking that he said I was better off bringing two buckets with me to save me travelling up and down to the garage and thats what i did.  
I remember the days there been so so hot It was so nice to sit under the tree and have my lunch.  There used to be a stream down the road to where I was working and I used to go down to it and wet my feet.  I remember how peaceful that job was and how peaceful it was just to be on my own at the stream eating my lunch .  It was heaven 
One Thing I remember about the raspberry picking was the fact I didnt even like Raspberries which meant I didnt eat any and there was more in my bucket 
ok I have to admit now when I think of the pay we use to get for the hard work we did was nothing.  i mean I think at that time we got something like 50 pence per punnet you filled believe me that was a small amount for the work you put into picking 
I remember on my first week when Friday came and the owner was adding up all of the buckets we picked some peoples end of the week wages used to add up to £5 some peoples was £10 but when he came to mine I will never forget his face , he added up looked at me added up again looked at me and smiled saying "this girl has to be the hardest fastest worker we every had" I was so proud of myself I couldnt wait to tell my daddy lol and my wages????? £36 I was jumping with excitement of course the weeks after the wages got a little less because the Raspberries started to run low and the days seemed to have got longer and longer because it was more difficult to find raspberries to fill a bucket but It was still fun and I will never forget my first job :) 
What was your first job ?
Did you enjoy it ?
Until next time 
Lots of Love Luck and Laughter 




I love love love hearing from you all :) I make it my duty to read each and every one of you comments and every time i get a comment from you it highlights my day thanks so so much to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 comment:

Blush and Barbells said...

That's impressive!
I love raspberries so I doubt I would have made much money - I would have eaten them all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...